A Brief History of the Building.
John's United Church was formed in 1925 by the amalgamation
of two Halifax Presbyterian congregations whose origins dated back
Our church site at the corner of Windsor and Willow Streets
had been purchased in 1916 by the members of St
John's Presbyterian Church.
Plans were in place to build a new church there to replace their aging
structure on Brunswick Street, and the cornerstone for the new church
was laid in October 1917. Barely two months later, the Halifax Explosion
ripped through the city, demolishing the entire north end section.
Construction of the new St John's Presbyterian Church was delayed
considerably as its members struggled to rebuild their lives in the
months following the explosion.
|The first St John's Church corner-
stone laid at the Willow Street site
by Lieutenant Governor MacCallum
Grant in 1917
The new church was finally opened and dedicated on
July 21, 1918 but by 1920, the building was deemed too small to accommodate
the growing congregation. Another cornerstone was laid approximately
40 meters from the first one, and work commenced on what is now the
present-day sanctuary and bell tower.
On April 10, 1921, the congregation officially opened and
dedicated its spacious new home. Four
years later, as Presbyterian, Congregational and Methodist Churches
combined to become The United Church of Canada, members of Park
Street Presbyterian Church joined their friends on Willow Street,
and St John's United Church was born.
Betts, Rev. Dr. E. A., Nicolson, J.A., Matheson, W.H., Morrison, D.A.,
Smith, G.R., History of St John's United Church, Halifax,
Nova Scotia 1793-1975
Your Stories ~ St John's United Church Oral
Longtime members of our congregation share their
personal reflections of lives lived within the family of St John's
Click here to visit the archive: http://stjohnsoralhistory.blogspot.com/
Archival interviews continue!